The book "Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game" by Michael Lewis of The Big Short, along with the subsequent movie filmed 8 years later, goes into the improbable success of the poor MLB team the Oakland Athletics. For decades the teams with the highest payroll dominated the leagues. That is until teams started applying real statistical analysis to make all aspects of the game a science instead of antiquated tradition and bias. Just like small businesses have had to get extra savvy to compete against large corporations. As a Frugal Entrepreneur, I always appreciate using low-cost methods and high upside options to take on the bigger businesses out there. Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book Moneyball:
1) "The pleasure of rooting for Goliath is that you can expect to win. The pleasure of rooting for David is that, while you don't know what to expect, you stand at least a chance of being inspired."
2) "If professional baseball players could be over- or under valued, who couldn't?"
3) "No matter how successful you are, change is always good. There can never be a status quo."
4) "What begins as a failure of the imagination ends as a market inefficiency."
5) "Managers tend to pick a strategy that is least likely to fail, rather than to pick a strategy that is most efficient."
6) "Every form of strength is also a form of weakness... Possessions entrap men and wealth paralyzes them."
7) "If you challenge conventional wisdom, you will always find ways to do things much better than they are currently done."
8) "People in both fields operate with beliefs and biases. To the extent that you can eliminate both and replace them with data, you gain a clear advantage."
I hope you enjoyed these 8 great business quotes from the book Moneyball by Michael Lewis.
Interested in reading more business strategy articles?
Read My Posts:
"Digital Marketing 2016: 5 Areas Of Focus"
"Marketing Trends Defining 2016"
As Always, Best Of Luck In Business To You All!
Michael J. Schiemer of Schiemer Consulting
Enthusiastic Entrepreneur & Owner of Frugal Business
Digital Marketing, Social Media, & Entrepreneurship on a Budget
HubSpot Inbound Certified Marketer
Mike Schiemer Builds Better Business
CONNECT WITH MIKE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Share This Blog Post On Social Media: