Building A Business Empire: Are You Ready To Test Out Your Credentials?

Do you find your day job mundane or frustrating? Do you feel like you put in maximum effort for nothing in return? Is it virtually impossible to strike a balance between work and life? If you’ve answered yes to these questions, you may be thinking about starting your own business and assuming the role of the boss. Being your own boss can have many benefits, especially if working for somebody else is leaving you disillusioned. However, it’s not easy to get a company off the ground and steer it in the right direction. Up to 90 percent of startups fail. The odds may be against you, but there’s no reason why you can’t be in that exclusive 10 percent club if you go about things in the right way. Here’s a comprehensive guide to help you start building a business empire

Have You Got A Viable Business Plan? 

To succeed in business, you need to have a plan. It’s not as simple as handing in your notice one day and then becoming the CEO of a brand new venture the next. There are myriad different types of businesses out there, and you may decide to continue what you’re doing or to take a completely different direction. If you love what you do, but you’re tired of making money for others or working 12-hour days, for example, you may want to set up on your own. Alternatively, you may have a great idea that you think will work that has nothing to do with your current job. Perhaps you’ve come up with an idea for a new product that provides a solution to an everyday problem, or you’ve come across a gap in the market when you’ve been searching for products and services as a consumer. 

If you’ve got an idea, the next step is to make sure that you can turn this concept into a viable business venture. An idea isn’t going to get cash registers ringing. You need to work out how you’re going to take that idea and convert it into a money-spinner. This may involve developing and selling a product or offering your services in return for a payment. It’s always advisable to consider how you could scale up a basic business plan and how you could make it more profitable

When you’re putting together a business plan, research is key. You don’t want to invest blood, sweat and tears in something that is doomed to fail from the outset. To make any business successful, there needs to be a market, so do some research and find out if people are actually interested in buying similar products or taking advantage of the services you plan to offer. It’s also incredibly useful to determine what kind of competition there is out there. What are other firms doing? How much are they charging? How are they marketing their business and who is the target market? Once you’ve got all this information, use it in your business plan. If you’re hoping to get investors on board or you’re applying for a business loan, this plan should provide a panel or an individual with all the information they need to make a decision. Double check the numbers, make sure the plan is watertight and be prepared to answer questions.

Setting Up Your Business 

To run a business of any kind, you need a base. There are various options available for startups, and often, the choices you make will depend on your budget and the type of company you plan to launch. 

There are several options for correctly setting up your company. It can be quite confusing deciding between an LLC, S Corporation, or Sole Proprietorship / Partnership so using trusted services like Gov Doc Filing can help you find the right option for your new business. You simply fill out the simple tax ID form and let them do the rest so you'll be assigned an EIN. This process helps to protect your personal assets in the event of any company financial or legal problems that may arise.  

If you’re selling products, you may be thinking about buying or renting a store, but this may not be the only option, especially if you plan to sell online. If you’re establishing an e-commerce business, it may be possible to cut costs and reduce startup expenses by working from home. Basing yourself at home may also be an option if you’re consulting, you’re launching a freelance writing business, or you’re creating your own beauty, massage or physical therapy company. Working from home is a cheaper way of running a business, and it can also enable you to find a better work-life balance if you’re hoping to achieve more flexibility with your schedule. 

If you’re setting up at home, think about the space you have available and what kinds of business headquarters you wish to create. In many cases, it’s very easy to turn a guest room into an office or part of the garage into a stock room. If you need a studio, a treatment room or a larger office, you may wish to consider options including converting the loft or basement or adding a garden room. If you are planning to set up at home and there’s work to do to get you to the point where you can meet clients or make video calls, get some quotes, go through different options and ideas and seek expert advice. If you’re looking at converting a basement, for example, it’s wise to get in touch with companies like Helitech and ensure the plans are viable and the space is suitable. Once the room is ready, you can add final touches that will either motivate and inspire you or make the area appealing to clients or customers. If you are having people visit your home, it’s always a good idea to try and keep your work space and the rest of the house separate. You want to make a good impression and create a professional vibe from the outset

If you don’t plan to work from home, and this is not always a viable option, it’s worth exploring other ideas. You may wish to rent offices or look at stores for hire, or you could consider hot desking. Think about what you need to run the business on a day to day basis and how much you want to spend. 

Getting Your Name Out There 

You’ve got an idea, you’ve secured funding, and you’ve found a place to base your new empire. Now what? The next stage is to get your name out there and start drumming up some trade. Use the information you obtained from market research to design a marketing strategy that will work for your business. Who are you trying to attract? You need to match your methods to the customer. If you’ve got a young demographic in mind, for example, it’s a good idea to explore social media marketing, as young people spend a lot of time on these platforms. You can set up profiles free of charge and then pay for adverts. Once you’ve got social media accounts, it’s important to understand how to use them and also how to link them to your website. If you don’t already have a brilliant website, this is an excellent place to start. Before you devote all your energy to social media, make sure your website looks fantastic and that it’s easy to use. We spend more than three hours per day on the Internet and check our phones more than 80 times per day, so having a mobile-friendly website and even an app can be hugely beneficial. Once your website is sorted, it should be easy for somebody to see a post on Facebook or Twitter, click on the link and place an order in a matter of seconds

If you’re hoping to generate a lot of sales online, it’s advisable to look into search engine optimization. SEO is a technique, which drives more traffic to your website by optimizing pages to make them more appealing to search engine users. When you use a site like Google to search for something, the links at the top of the page are likely to attract the most interest. If you can get your pages to the top of that list, there’s every chance that you’ll experience an increase in traffic. If you don’t know the first thing about SEO, it’s wise to seek advice from an agency or hire a freelancer

If your venture isn’t heavily focused on online sales, you may experience better results by using traditional techniques such as flyering and posting adverts in the local press. If you’re a hairdresser and you’re going mobile, or you’re setting up a salon at home, for example, putting leaflets through the door could prove a lot more successful than posting online. You can make your flyers more eye-catching and appealing by offering discounts and introductory offers. Make sure you include contact details and essential information about the business, such as opening hours. It’s really useful to add your website address so that people who are interested can find out more about prices and services

Are you tired of working for other people or have you got a brilliant idea that you think could propel you to the big time? If you’re considering a change of career and you’re looking to become your own boss, hopefully, this guide has given you some helpful pointers. Make plans, do your homework and don’t rush into anything. It’s so important to ensure you know exactly what you’re doing at every step of the way to minimize the risk of failure. It might not be a sure thing, but taking the plunge and starting your own business could have unparalleled upside!

I hope you enjoyed this article about how to get started building a business empire and testing your entrepreneurial limits.

Interested in more articles about starting a business?

Read My Posts:

- Habits Entrepreneurs Should Always Continue For Success 

- Entrepreneurial Tips To Improve Your Job Performance

Read More Bootstrap Business Below

Official Bootstrap Business Blog Newest Posts From Mike Schiemer Partners And News Outlets